Sunday, April 1, 2007

State of the Site (#1)

Hey guys,


Just a real quick update on the state of the site.

First off, I'm loving it and I'm loving the discussion it's generating. The more people get involved, the better it is. I love the back and forth and the constant checking to see if other people have responded in the comments section, it's all gold. Pure movie talk gold.

Second, guys feel free to post whatever/whenever you want. I'm gonna start posting more topics (and shorter topics too) soon. Just simple reflections on a film, on an actor, or any of the number of possibilities I wrote in the "Posting" section for possible topics.

Third, "mr. mighty myth" and "the other TK" if you want to contribute to the site regularly, just respond to this post with your e-mail and I'll shoot you a permission to be a contributor. That way I don't have to keep moderating your comments before they're posted. I only really do that to keep out anyone who would just hit-and-run the site with something worthless or excessive cursing (moderate cursing openly welcome).

Fourth, I'm sorry I've slacked a little bit in recent days but I've been gearing up for a vacation. Tomorrow afternoon we're flying to Ft. Lauderdale for the week. I'll still try to check the site and offer some input briefly when I can during the days before we head out to the beach or something (as long as our hotel has an internet jack), but I'm posting in advance for the dearth of new material until I get back on Friday. As soon as I do though, I'll come back with a lot more stuff to discuss.

Besides, I'm sure everyone will be discussing Grindhouse for the next two weeks anyway and will barely notice...

And hey, why not start here? Are you guys looking forward to Grindhouse more or less than a standard Tarantino or Rodriguez film? Let's get some discussion going on this film. I'm absolutely dying to see it (although I'll probably miss it opening weekend unfortunately unless I catch it Sunday) but I don't know if I'm looking forward to it as much as, say, if this were Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards that we've all heard of for years. Anyways, discuss...

3 comments:

chachiincharge said...

For some reason I dont have my admin functions I had at the beginning that enabled me to invite pengin. So that is why myth and other tk dont come up as contributors i guess.

Anyways, a new Tarantino film being released is always an event for me. To give you an idea how much his films have changed life, I lost 50 pounds back when I worked at the theater just in order for me to get the Kill Bill Banner. That Banner nows rests proudly over my window. The sun shines through it in the morning usually waking my ass up at the crack of noon. That banner should represent the fortitude and will power I had to earn it, but all I can do is recall just how phenomenal that movie experience was.

Kill Bill Volume 2 was released the same weekend as The Punisher. For some ungodly reason, most of the employees wanted to see Punisher. I of course saw Kill Bill 2 with only about four others. The moment when Beatrix craddles her child in bed as "You never told me about her" plays, I cry every time. It is a singular moment that I will always remember.

Perhaps that is where my Tarantino obsession lies. It basically comes down to the fact that after one viewing, I can nearly recite the script already. I have an innate sense of everything at play, even though it is taking from so many genres. Though I haven't seen 1/100th the number of explotation films he has, I always know when he is paying homage to it, even if they a subtle hints.

Am I looking forward to Grindhouse more than his other flicks. Perhaps not. Those were Tarantino when he was trying to make a statement, trying to not just evoke a genre pic, but to completely supercede those flicks and actually make a grand movie with drama, comedy and some killer dialogue. Grindhouse will probably be Tarantino in all is unleashed fanboy glory, but if he is looking to maintain pure grindhouse essence, he will have to dial back on some of the things he is best know for. There may not be any Ezekial speech. They wont talk about the meaning behind "Like a Virgin". And I will bet, it wont make me cry like "You never told me about her" did, and still does. For that simple reason I probably dont look forward to it as much. But if you told me that I could have the banner for it by losing 100 pounds. You can bet I cut off my lower torso just to have it.

Brian Mulligan said...

Hey, Chachi - you're back to admin again. When we first started this for some reason it kept changing you back to "guest" so I figured for some reason you were doing it and I left it at that. But from now on I'll try to make sure it keeps you as an admin. Sorry about that.

chachiincharge said...

I know of at least one person who has seen this review that posts on this blog, but I thought it must be shared with everyone.

I was written by Neil Cumpston of AintItCoolNews. Since I dont want to spoil what he says I'll just let the review speak for itself.

Here is the link:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32030

Read it all including the spoilers. Dont worry, it wont actually spoil your virgin watching of the film. It is just really damn funny and I wished more critics used metaphors like he does.

Blog Directory - Blogged