Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Month of Movies: July 2007

Considering it's the middle of the summer, I'm a bit perplexed at this list of films coming out that I'm looking forward to. Few, if any, big budgets. One franchise. And a load of independently financed or indepentedly minded films.

It isn't the July I was expecting either way.

I suppose the studios are banking on films like Transformers but even the 10-year-old inside of me can't get excited for a Michael Bay film. I'm sorry. It hurts to say, but at 24, I may be too old for the Transformers nostalgia and too smart to get hoodwinked into seeing a Michael Bay and Jerry Bruckheimer production. Pass.

License to Wed looks like the latest in a series of disastrous Robin Williams films. At this point, I'm beyond defending him. I would rather he stop making films entirely. The good will days of Good Morning, Vietnam, Dead Poets Society, Awakenings and, well, Good Will Hunting are gone. Now are the days of RV, License to Wed and Man of the Year. Hell I even saw The Big White out of Williams-loyalty... but screw that. Every new film he makes is a slap in the face and License to Wed is where it ends. I'm done with you Robin Williams, you're dead to me. I'm sorry.

Then there are the somewhat more interesting Hairspray but directed by Adam Shankman? Uh, no thanks. And I Now Pronouce You Chuck and Larry at some point had Alexander Payne's imprint on it? But now it's starring Adam Sandler and Kevin James? Ugh. Might see these on DVD, but in theaters? It's looking like I'll be saving a lot of money on theater tickets in July.

The first film I can even point an interest in is #5 in the Harry Potter series? Since Chris Columbus bailed on the franchise, the series has improved dramatically, gaining a darker edge in the process. As long as David Yates rides the wave of Alfonso Cuaron and Mike Newell, he should be okay and the franchise should stay in solid hands. God forbid a return to Chris Columbus' hands down the road though.

And The Simpsons Movie. The movie at least 8 years overdue. I'm interested, but not nearly with the enthusiasm I would have had a decade ago. It's been done. There are now complete seasons of the Simpsons that I haven't seen, so if I want to see the new adventures of Bart & Lisa, I could go there. The only thing different about the movie is the ratio and the running time. We'll see. This is one I'll definitely see, but again, not rushing to see it.

As for me, the three most intriguing films of the season might be the overlooked kind. The counterprogramming. Werner Herzog's Rescue Dawn with Christian Bale, Talk to Me with Don Cheadle and Milos Forman's Goya's Ghosts. Three films with interesting performers, interesting subjects and interesting directors - but modest budgets. You could make all three for less than the price of any one of the big blockbusters of the season.

Either Hollywood math is all out of whack or to quote a former summer-standby in Lethal Weapon, "I'm just too old for this shit."

2 comments:

chachiincharge said...

Let me first correct you by saying Bruckheimer had nothing to do with Transformers. It it produced by Spielberg, which is why it is a good as it it.

Looking at this month to come, I'm pretty much in agreement with you.

Can't wait for Potter, and the last book only two weeks later. I love this franchise, even the mediocre Columbus ones. I'm a big pothead, so I will definitely be seeing this one.

Probably looking forward to Rescue Dawn the most. Haven't see a whole lot of Herzog (Grizzly Man, Fitzcaraldo), but with Bale and Zahn and a fantastic trailer, I'm so there.

Talk to Me also looks great, mostly for the cast. Cheidel and Ejiofor (whom I can now pronounce correctly) are two of the finest actors right now and they are both in the same flick. Don't think the story will be anything revolutionary, but I just want to see these two cats busting the man's balls.

Don't know much about Goya's Ghost except Portman gets raped. Its Milos Forman, so I'm interested, but don't really know much about it.

Transformers, License to Wed...read my Recent Watches comment

Chuck and Larry looks to be all a one joke movie, but I like both Sandler and especially Kevin James. They are showing it to GLAAD reps to get approval, so that shows at least they are trying to be sincere. Not much hope, but I'll give it a shot.

Hairspray...I saw the musical at the Kennedy center. Fun fluff basically. Catchy tunes, some good jokes, and a sweet enough moral lesson about being yourself. Shankman is a hack. But Travolta in a fat suit looks really odd, yet alluring. Plus its got Walken. Don't expect much, but could be fun enough.

I know who killed me...Lohan + The Invisible...looks awful, but she plays a stripper...so heres hoping she impales herself on a stiletto heel and she discovers the entire time she was the one who killed herself.

Whos Your Caddy...GREATEST MOVIE EVER MADE...and by GREATEST I mean worst, and by MOVIE I mean regurgitated tapir intestines.

Sushine...Danny Boyle so I'm excited, but early reviews aren't great

Captivity...Cuthbert is hot

Joshua...this looks really damn creepy

No Reservations...Eckhardt is the man, but I've never liked Zeta-Jones. Looks like it takes the idea of cuisine seriously like Ratatouille did, which gives me some slight interest. I love Food!

THE SIMPSONS...gotta admit I was hesitant, but every scene I've seen is pure gold. If you haven't seen the latest trailer, I think it will change your mind too...SpiderPig! SpiderPig! Does whatever a SpiderPig does!...I'm a huge fan of the show, but like everyone else I stopped watching it about eight years ago. Got them a DVD, and I still think they hold up after all these years. Though they probably should have ended long ago, I still think they are the best family on TV. Now lets hope we don't have to wait ten years for a Futurama movie, or even another South Park (but that would be hard to top).

Brian Mulligan said...

Chachi, you're absolutely right to include Sunshine on the list. I just blanked on it. I guess I didn't realize it came out this month since I've heard things about it for a while now. It does look interesting though and the early reviews are positive, but a lot of them say it falls apart in the end (can we say 28 Days Later...?).

Blog Directory - Blogged