Thursday, August 2, 2007

Month of Movies: August 2007


Glancing through August there isn't a whole lot of films that I'm dying to see... not like September and October seem to be, where there are as many as three films per weekend I want to catch. There are some big budget comedies and sequels coming our way like Rush Hour 3 (a film at least two years later than it has any right to be for showing up in theaters) and the sequel no one was asking for - not even Eddie Murphy - with Daddy Day Camp. Underdog looks entirely unappealing in spite of the vocal talents of Jason Lee and The Invasion seems passable but surprisingly uncompelling for Daniel Craig's Bond follow-up. Never been a huge Mr. Bean fan, so Mr. Bean's Holiday is nothing to look forward to either. And War? With Jason Statham and Jet Li? Another I'll pass on. Meanwhile, I've heard next to nothing about Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon, The Nanny Diaries with Scarlett Johansson and the little from Hot Rod and Balls of Fury might have been more than enough for me.

So what is there?

Well, I'll finally get to gush all over The Bourne Ultimatum this weekend. I'm already convinced pre-watch that it concludes the best action series in film history (fight me with your Die Hard and Lethal Weapon arguments all you want, they don't hold up).

Unfortunately, that's the only film I'm dying for.

Other choices include Superbad, whose early reviews seem to indicate it's another piece of comedic gold that Seth Rogen was involved in. I'm there too.

Stardust and Resurrecting the Champ, ditto, are getting positive early reviews and becoming more appealing by the minute. I'm a tough sell on fantasy films though - I didn't even see The Fellowship of the Ring until it came out on DVD, so Matthew Vaughn has his work cut out for him if he expects to see me in theaters come opening night - despite that I loved his last film, Layer Cake. And Champ is getting big buzz for Samuel L. Jackson whose apparently acting again since Black Snake Moan, after taking a couple years off to make mostly cruddy sci-fi and action films.

And then there's Rob Zombie. Say what you will, but The Devil's Rejects was some kind of film. What kind, I don't know. And I don't know what in the world to think of a Zombie-fied Halloween (I like the Carpenter version just fine, thank you). But still... it intrigues me. Maybe not enough for a theater visit, but definitely enough to check out on DVD when it hits.

So, who's seeing what?

3 comments:

pengin said...

I'm gonna say no to Rush Hour 3. Wasn't a big fan of the first 2, won't be one for this time out either.

Daddy Day Camp...uggh...why dear god...why?

The Invasion...I love the original Invasion of the Body-Snatchers. The 1978 remake was watchable. I loves me some Daniel Craig, but this will have to work hard to impress me.

Mr. Bean's Holiday: It's Mr. Bean. I'm there. Probably twice.

War: Never even heard of it. But I love Statham.

Death Sentence: Director of Saw. And Kevin Bacon going full out, balls-to-the-wall psycho. The trailer was good, so I'll see it.

Nanny Diaries: She's not going to be naked, so what's the point.

Hot Rod: I love random comedy, and this has been getting decent reviews. Stupid but funny...gotta love it.

Balls of Fury: I'm in love with whoever is playing the lead...and we got Walken involved. Again, stupid but funny is all I'm wanting.

Bourne: Love the series, so I'm stoked.

Stardust: The reviews I've read have not been kind. This had me at Robert De Niro playing a cross-dressing flying pirate. Looks to be in the vein of Princess Bride (which everyone ever loves), and we get the excellent Matthew Vaughn.

Resurrecting the Champ: Hadn't heard of until now.

Halloween: Why? I love Devil's Rejects. Hate House of 1000 Corpses. But Why? This is pointless. Just stop this shit. You can write a new movie. Something original. It can be done. Stop fucking up the good stuff. I'll see it...mostly so I can bitch about it.

And finally:

SUPERBAD!!!! My favorite movie of the year. I know it. It cannot disappoint. The cast, the creative team...all genius. The red band trailer, the red band clips that just popped up, and Michael Cera's dance...all make me laugh so hard I can't breath...this movie may kill me...how fucking awesome is that?

chachiincharge said...

I like the Rush Hour films for what they are. They are just fun. Nothing more. They aren't original, but I'm such a fan of Jackie Chan's choreography that I'm always intrigued by what he does next. Still don't have much expectations for this one.

I love Mr. Bean. In Germany, I watched BBC all the damn time, so I got to know Mr. Bean quite well. I saw the first movie in theaters. I certainly want to see this one, too.

War...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Death Sentence...didn't know much about it. The trailer had me intrigued, but only because I always like to see if Kevin Bacon manages to get naked in another movie as he always does.

Nanny Diaries...I this about that Damn British nanny who shook a baby to death. If so, that just screams comedy.

Hot Rod...It looks really dumb, but than again, I like dumb. I'm there.

Balls of Fury...its got Walken in a kimono. Need I say more.

Bourne...more to come I'm sure

Stardust...pengin hit it right on the nail

Halloween...I love this movie.
Halloween Zombified edition...I will probably loath this movie

Invasion...I could flip a coin right now as to whether or not this movie will be any good, or whether or not I even care about it.

Some other ones that weren't mentioned...

Death at a Funeral...Frank Oz is hit and miss. He missed big with Stepford Wives. This looks like a homer for him. Alan Tudyk needs his own movie, sitcom, album, church ceiling painting, clothing line, and tradeable playing cards featuring a new sexy pose that executes a set HP by making you giggle.

Rocket Science...hadn't heard of this till I saw the trailer the other night. Looks funny enough. Totally rips off Wes Anderson, but what quirky comedy doesn't nowadays.

And the reason cinema was made...

SUPERBAD!!!! Already my favorite movie of the year. I have loved ever single frame I've seen thus far. There is no way I will be disappointed in it. If you disagree with pengin and I's takes, just visit the website areyousuperbad.com. You will become a convert. And if I see one review that says "It says is all in the title," I will hunt them down and give them a most primitive vasectomy/tube tying in order to prevent them from ever procreating and having them teach their children that puns are the pinnacle of smart humor.

Carol said...

I'm going to see Bourne tonight and I can't wait =) Stardust looks interesting so I might see that in theaters and possibly Halloween...but I'm just not sure...did the first one really need a remake?

Blog Directory - Blogged