Monday, October 29, 2007

Gone, Baby, Gone (Ben Affleck, 2007)


When an actor steps behind the camera to direct for the first time, there should be a reason for it. Whether it's a personal story that needs to be told or a small budget film that would never get funding otherwise, something should be propelling that decision besides a career rut. So good thing for Ben Affleck, that although he fits in with the career rut crowd, there are also numerous other reasons he was the right choice for Gone, Baby, Gone.

This film is really in Affleck's wheelhouse. The Boston setting, obviously. The delving back into screenwriting (he did win an Oscar co-writing Good Will Hunting after all). The overload of cursing. The charming conceitedness of the main character. And his decision to put his brother Casey in that role. Former Sum of All Fears co-star Morgan Freeman coming along for the ride. The marvelous Mystic River as an outline and How-To guide...

So Gone, Baby, Gone is brimming with reasons why this would be the perfect place for Ben Affleck's directorial career to start. But honestly, when they started shooting this film, I still felt like it was a crapshoot as to what would result.


Then the trailer came out and I knew Affleck had done well by this film. It seemed to mimic Mystic River to the point of plagiarism (the film, however, does not). There are a few minor quibbles with how the storyline comes together - whose blame I lay more at the feet of Dennis Lehane's source material... but by the end, all is forgiven because of what really is a knockout finale.


Gone, Baby, Gone is also a great starring vehicle for Casey Affleck (the better actor of the two Afflecks) and boasts some beautiful imagery by John Tall, the cinematographer of The Thin Red Line and Almost Famous amongst others.

For 90% of its running time, Gone, Baby, Gone is a solid, enjoyable crime mystery... but this movie is all about it's final moments. They are the moments that linger and keep you questioning. They are the moments you want to talk about. They are the reason for...

3 comments:

Brian Mulligan said...

I've grown tired of looking at the same pictures over and over again on the main page and I'm gonna try another strategy out here. I'll continue to post the "Recent Watches," "Month of Movies," and "You're Completely Topic Free," posts each month, but I'm personally going to start posting a lot more, shorter topics. I've started it here with a mini-review of Gone, Baby, Gone and I'll keep it up like this (although possibly even shorter than this).

I'll also post some short discussion topics on movie-related news that we've grown out of (for instance, I used to enjoy the EW 'Ask the Critic' question being posted on here) and Ty, I know you for one submit a Director's 10 quiz to "Watching the Directors"... how about posting it on here so we can all offer our opinions?

Just something to get the site a little more lively. I wait far too long between posts and I want to get in the habit of posting something, even something very short, every two-three days or so. It won't be nearly as long as the MTTM reviews, but it will be something that hopefuly everyone can participate in from time to time.

Let me know what you think. And I know you Ty have been waiting for your own GBG forum, so here you are... I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the film (and the ending specifically).

chachiincharge said...

I'll see if they posted my ten quiz on the web site, but to be honest, I don't know how critical they were. They were Tarantino, Fincher and Kevin Smith...all directors I would gladly give up both kidneys to meet (Oh that's right, I've met Kev twice. I call him Kev cuz were like best buds. He's even my friend on MySpace!) Anyways they may not have been the most objective quizesa submitted, but I'll take a look. It could be fun to submit our own top quiz for each director anyways.

Any who, I'm so glad we saw this movie the same. I was worried you wouldn't have given it enough credit because it is pretty much a routine crime thriller for as you said...90% of this film. But the ending is one for the books. Not just for the questions it brings up, but how it was shot, how it was acted, how we couldn't predict it. I can honestly sit here and say, as I did at the end of the film, that I don't know what I would have done. Lil' Affleck has to make a grand decision here and I don't know what I would have done. Still over a week later and I still don't know. This is a film that is full of people who make bad choices, but aren't bad people. You understand everyone's plight here and the acting is superb especially from the supporting cast. Amy Ryan gives a star making turn here as the mother of the lost child. Ed Harris gives another performance that makes you wonder how the hell he doesn't have an Oscar. Freeman...well he can't do wrong in my opinion. Titus Welliver, Amy Madigan...both memorable. Any weekspot would be Michelle Monaghan, but she really comes to bat during the ending. And of course Casey who proves to me once and for all that he performs the most subtle acting. So subtle you think its easy and that he is always doing to same thing, but in reality he is showing you many facets of the character in such a unique manner.

Finally, hats off to Big Fleck who with both this and his performance in Hollywoodland is on quite a streak. His dialogue is so quick-witted and so fast-paced that it seems just so natural coming from these people's mouths. Much like Kevin Smith in my opinion. Gotta say Mulligan, I think I liked it a little more than Good Will Hunting, but don't worry I'm sure Matty had a hand in this script too.

Brian Mulligan said...

Blasphemy!

It IS a great movie but Good Will Hunting is a flawless one (at least in my mind).

And Gone, Baby, Gone loses some points during the unraveling of the crime story because - as I said - I feel like it gets a little convoluted and things start to pile up ontop of one another without a clear direction as to where the story is going. Honestly the kidnapping of the girl, her story, is practically over by the halfway point. After which Casey gets bogged down in details with no place really to explore (the gunfight at the kidnapped boy's house feels forced... especially after the drug dealer comes to pick him up and drive him to the meet).

That said, Affleck regroups it all by the end. It is an ending that had me turning it over in my head time and time again. From the moment I saw the film, I knew I probably would have done the same thing Casey's character eventually decides to do...

But that doesn't make it right. And that's what makes it such a killer.

Blog Directory - Blogged