Thursday, March 13, 2008

Dan in Real Life (Peter Hedges, 2007)


This film had one of the worst ad campaigns for a film all year, a campaign that actually tried to make the film look stupider than it actually is. I guess dumb plays, but Dan deserved better. The cast alone - especially Steve Carell - muster enough heartfelt sentiment that the film works simply through its actors. It's an interesting enough story about a single father raising three girls who happens to fall for his brother's new girlfriend (before knowing who she was). It also isn't the type of pandering comedy where someone has to get hurt every fifteen minutes to strangle laughter out of the audience. Unfortunately, it does have a very conventional, paint-by-numbers script (the type where you can predict every plot point at least fifteen minutes ahead of time) and a surprising over-reliance on family interaction (what family goes on vacation and then proceeds to do crosswords, exercises and talent shows together?). Still, it's no where near the empty-headed chore I was expecting.

7 comments:

chachiincharge said...

Add another half star to it and I think you got it right. The actors made this work for me. Nice to see Juliette Binoche here. I thought she was wonderful. Knew you would like it. Don't judge everything by its trailer. I thought that poster was funny though.

Anonymous said...

This film was great. I really enjoyed the dark humor. It was an amazing movie and it shouldn't be judged by its advertising.

Brian Mulligan said...

As it wasn't. I admit that the advertising was terrible enough to prevent me from seeing it in theaters... but once I sit down to a movie I was judging it by its own merits (otherwise I would have panned the thing).

Dan in Real Life is a pleasant, completely predictable piece of filmmaking. It's enjoyable enough to make it worth watching, but really no better than that.

Now, if you would like to argue some of its merits instead of generically labelling it a "great" film, we could discuss it in depth. But if this is your concept of "dark humor" then I would hate to see your reaction to something like Ban Santa. Good God.

Also, another Anonymous, or the same one?

Anonymous said...

The daughters of this man are incredibly spoiled and rude. I can not imagine talking to my father the way the kids do in this movie. Mother dead or not, kids should not have liberty to talk to their dad the way these girls do throughout the entire movie. This kind of stuff glamorized and encourages real life kids to abuse their parents verbally. Parents to day are forbidden to discipline their kids. If an adult talked to a kid the way those girls talked to their dad - it would be a movie about parental abuse. ALSO! The girlfriend Marie deceived the family and then RAN AWAY when they got found out in the bowling alley. What kind of woman RUNS AWAY when her man is in trouble? The kids are brats and the woman is a coward. Or is it just me ? Linda

Anonymous said...

Pleasant story, finely acted. Binoche's expressions are wonderful, especially when on the double date where she's asked 'are you o/k ?' View it for what it is a good film worthy of a second viewing to look deeper at the acting !
Turner

Anonymous said...

I actually just saw this on DVD, having avoided it because of the bad trailers / advertising. But it kept popping up and since it has some of my favorite actors in it, I reluctantly gave it a go.

Well, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Yes, a typical feel good that was predictable, but it worked for me and I really enjoyed it.

I hope others give it a chance.

Anonymous said...

I really liked Dan in Real Life. True the ads made the movie look like more of a laugh out loud comedy, but really it is a good movie. The ads don't define it.

Blog Directory - Blogged