Friday, November 30, 2007

T4: The Falling of a Franchise?

Rumors surrounding a fourth installment of the Terminator franchise have been kicking around this week, starting with news of a possible director and star.

It's a good news/bad news scenario.

First, the bad. James Cameron, the man behind the great Terminator and Terminator 2 is not coming back and neither is Jonathan Mostow, who filled in admirably with Terminator 3. Nope, instead we might be getting the man who brought us those two Cameron Diaz Charlie's Angels flicks and the underwhelming We Are Marshall. That's right folks, the guy who brags about getting his Charlie's Angels cast naked in his van and goes by the horribly irritating acronym McG is taking over my beloved Terminator series? You CAN'T be serious. This guy is up there with Brett Ratner as one of the only guys in Hollywood who can delude themselves into thinking they have actual talent behind the camera in spite of their shitty filmographies. It's totally irrational and I absolutely hate the choice. Hell, why not give it to Michael Bay or Paul W.S. Anderson to crap all over while you're at it?

Worse is the good news.

Now, how can the good news be worse? Because they cast the absolutely PERFECT choice for the future John Connor. They're trying to make another trilogy of films starting with T4 and they apparently talked none other than Christian Bale into taking over the role! I'm still stupified he'd even consider it since he's already Batman... but what the hell? Guess the guy can do any role he wants nowadays.

STILL. If you're gonna have a good film, I'm of the belief that 90% of it is the director. And McG is a total hack. How does a guy who so obviously is going to kill this franchise get to make a film called Terminator Salvation? Unbelievable.

4 comments:

chachiincharge said...

I remember pengin coming up to me so excited he had heard that Bale was going to be in T4. I than had to break the news to him that McG was apparently going to direct it. It was like killing a young child's puppy right in front of there own eyes. I felt so bad that I shot down his hopes to continue this franchise the way it should. I agree that McG is a hack and that the director makes or breaks a film, but I also pride myself on not judging a film entirely until I see it. I can whine and complain all I want, it won't change it, so I just need to keep an open mind about it and hope that they don't give him too much creative control. Visually he isn't an awful director. I thought the style suited the Angels films and I even liked the first one, but that sequel was atrocious. He got his feet wet with drama with We Are Marshall which was okay. So I just try to look at this as a glass half full scenario and pray to the cinema gods he doesnt frack it up. Afterall I liked X3 so anything can happen right.

pengin said...

Yeah...what a sad day that was when Chachi decided to crush my hopes and dreams right in front of me. No for the worse news...the only hope this film had was Christian Bale and his awesomeness....but...the rumor is that he will play a small role. He will still be John Connor, but the new trilogy is going to focus on a new character (supposedly a young grunt soldier on the front lines of the war), and Connor is going to show up more or less as cameo. Bale will be playing Connor as a "living legend" type character, and will have limited screen time. Or so the rumors have said.

I can't imagine Bale taking on a whole new trilogy in which he plays another iconic character, especially if the first is going to be directed by McG, so I actually hope this rumor is true. I'd rather Bale pop in for a few min to be awesome, than to be the star and have to go down with the ship.

pengin said...

Of course, as soon as I publish that...I go over to IMDB and find out that Bale has made it official...and that the rumor I had hoped for is in fact just a rumor. Connor will be the main character. Bale will be working with McG. And my hope for mankind just fell a little more.

Sigh...

PS: X3 sucked Chachi, and you know it

pengin said...

And it's being written by the dudes that wrote both Catwoman and Primeval.

I'm a very sad panda now.

Blog Directory - Blogged