Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Month of Movies: December 2007



Yeah, so I just totally forgot about this post, as well as the "Quotable Quotations" and the "Topic-Free" field in December so I'm doubling back to try to cram them all in before the new year. Plus, what could possibly be the last "Married to the Movies" review, Waitress, should be up tomorrow (we're putting the article on hiatus as Rebecca ventures off to become a rock star). AND, this should come as no surprise to anyone, but start creating your best Christmas films lists now and you're probably saving yourself some time down the road. Those are all on the agenda before the beginning of 2008. Even an "After the Credits" could show up as well, depending on when we can get around to seeing Juno, Atonement or There Will Be Blood. Hoping to catch all before January... because in January it'll probably be a Top 7 list of "Films of 2007" too. Lists, lists, lists. Just giving everybody a heads up. So anyway... the movies of December --

MUST SEE - THEATER

There Will Be Blood -
A Paul Thomas Anderson film is reason enough to celebrate, but Daniel Day-Lewis's performance looks reminiscent of his revolutionary Gangs of New York role.

Juno -
Looks like the most purely enjoyable film of the season, hands down.

Atonement -
Director Joe Wright already did the unfathomable by making a Jane Austen adaptation that I could really enjoy... and this one is getting all sorts of Oscar buzz.

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street -
The umpteenth Tim Burton/Johnny Depp collaboration... but their first musical.

Charlie Wilson's War -
The cast (Hanks, Hoffman, Roberts), the director (Nichols), the writer (Sorkin)... how can this fail?

I Am Legend -
The one must see I've already seen. Saw it opening night, having to wait over an hour for the 9:30 showing because this Will Smith movie is the only film I've seen sell out a Fredericksburg theater thus far. Review coming...

POTENTIAL SEE - THEATER

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - Spoofs are hardly my favorite genre, but Superbad, Knocked Up and strong early word get the benefit of the doubt. Would be a must see if December wasn't so crowded with them.

The Great Debaters -
After Antwone Fisher, I'm not sold on Denzel as a director just yet.

The Bucket List -
Strikes me as kind of trivial for a Nicholson and Freeman film. Still... it is a Nicholson and Freeman film.

MUST SEE - DVD

Grace is Gone - I want to see John Cusack stretch out of his comfort zone (romantic comedies and thrillers). This looks like a step in the right direction.

National Treasure: Book of Secrets -
The first National Treasure was built around reaping the rewards of a The Da Vinci Code-styled story... and it turned out better than The Da Vinci Code did. Still, I don't think anyone was clamoring for a sequel.

The Golden Compass -
The trailer was a little too kid-centric for me, a Lord of the Rings for the preteen crowd. Still... could be something here.

The Kite Runner -
More interested in the book than the movie, but it might eventually work its way into my DVD player.a

Youth Without Youth -
Francis Ford Coppola's first film in a decade.

Persepolis -
Popping up on "Best of the Year" lists here and there.

POTENTIAL SEE - DVD

The Orphanage -
Some good buzz and comparisons to the very solid horror film The Others.

Honeydripper -
John Sayles and Danny Glover. Even having heard next to nothing about it, that's enough.

The Amateurs -
Jeff Bridges sells me on it, but that it's been sitting on the shelf for close to three years dissuades me.

P.S. I Love You -
The obligatory romantic comedy of the season.

POTENTIALLY NEVER SEE - DVD

Alvin and the Chipmunks - Looks downright painful, I don't think I could even get through the trailer.

Alien vs. Predator: Requiem -
They got me the first time. Not again.

The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep -
I know nothing about it and nothing about it intrigues me.

2 comments:

chachiincharge said...

I refuse to make my top ten list until I see "Juno," "There Will Be Blood," "Sweeney Todd," and "Charlie Wilson." I really hope to see "Atonement" and "Before the Devil Knows Your Dead," but not sure about that.

I liked "Antwone Fisher."

Am I the only one of doesn't get this whole "National Treasure" love fest?

I hated "AVP," but I'll probably see "AVP2" simply because this time it is R Rated. I don't expect it to be good at all, but oh yes...there will be blood. *wink* Plus it isn't directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, so it has to be better...right.

Do want to see "Grace is Gone," "Kite Runner," "Persepolis," "Orphange" and "Bucket List."

Skip "Golden Compass." It sucked.
See "Walk Hard." It rocked.

"Youth Without Youth" is apparently even more convoluted and headache-inducing than Southland Tales.

Brian Mulligan said...

Agreed. I'm waiting until the end of January (or the time I have caught up with Juno, There Will Be Blood, Charlie Wilson, Sweeney Todd, Walk Hard, Atonement and even The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (comes out on DVD in early Feb... should be able to track down a copy of it SOMEWHERE by then. I've been dying to see that one since the theaters and still regret missing it.

Other than that though, I've covered most of my must-sees for the year with a few minor exceptions.

And I liked National Treasure for it's breezy story and entertainment value. It's by no means a great film, but it was passable (more than I can say for Da Vinci).

Let me know how AVP2 is. They're not gonna get me again...

Blog Directory - Blogged