Saturday, June 14, 2008

Definitely, Maybe (Adam Brooks, 2008)


I’ve liked Ryan Reynolds ever since I saw him on "Two Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place" back when I was in high school. I don’t remember how many episodes I saw but it couldn’t have been many since I can hardly recall a detail about any of them, except that Reynold’s wit and comic timing stood out. He was the one reason I stopped flipping and tuned in. Fitting then that his first couple forays into film had the same result, Van Wilder, Waiting..., Just Friends… not a worthwhile picture in the bunch, but again, Reynold’s wit and comic timing stand out. He’s been, very often, the only reason to tune in. That finally changes with Definitely, Maybe. After an inauspicious opening sequence that amounts to about the equivalent of flipping through a photographer’s collection of Ryan Reynolds’ modeling shots and unnerves you towards the possible vanity still to come, the film settles into a nice groove… instead relying on charm, affection and an unfeigned playfulness between its pretty people falling in love. In a way the charm is akin to that of The Princess Bride (though admittedly not as strong), but it’s tale, set up as a story told by an adult to an interested youth, instills the film with a childlike curiosity and mindset that Brooks works to his advantage. Reynolds spends the following two hours recanting a story to his daughter (Abigail Breslin) about how he met her mother and because of its setup, everything becomes sweeter. The usually tired plot points of the romantic comedy get a different taste, but there’s a slight cynicism that the romance isn’t always perfect and doesn’t always work out. It’s hardly perfect, but it’s well acted by all involved (Elizabeth Banks, Rachel Weisz, Kevin Kline and Isla Fisher in particular), and it’s especially nice to see Ryan Reynolds finally has something worthy of his time, and so do you.

4 comments:

chachiincharge said...

Just saw this and I was so surprised how good it actually was. I knew I would enjoy the cast, but I wasn't sure the story would hold up. Don't judge a book by its cover.

Chick flicks certainly get a bad rap, but that's mostly because their are so many uninspired, cliche ridden ones that more or less are trying to create another Pretty Woman (including ironically the atrocious Runaway Bride). But I can certainly appreciate a good romantic comedy as much as a gaggle of cheerleaders (a gaggle roughly equates to how many can fit into the back of the popular QB's pickup). This one hits familiar notes, but twists them on their head enough to make it seem fresh and exciting once again. Chick Flicks usually go for the perfect ending, and this film doesn't resort to that. Love can be a brutal bitch and this film knows that.

The entire cast is great including a wonderful appearance by Kevin Kline. I have a crush on Elizabeth Banks, but I want to marry Isla Fisher. She is simply wonderful here. And finally Ryan Reynolds stars in a good movie. Hopefully he continues his streak because he is terrific and deserves better than Waiting and Van Wilder.

Let me leave with the big gooey moment at the end (like all chick flicks have) really got to me and I had goosebumps up and down my extremities. Count this among my favorite romantic comedies including Love Actually and Notting Hill, who apparently share the same "makers" as this film. They are now my go to team for my chick flick fix.

Rebecca said...

First of all, who could forget Reynolds in his stellar Blade Trinity (or whatever it was called) performance? God he was ripped...and hilarious.

Anyway, I had the displeasure of seeing this film TWICE and both times on an airplane flight. The first time was alright. I thought it was sweet and did have a few good moments. It was just alright though. So on my return flight I tried again and was disappointed even more than the first time. I will give Ryan credit for going outside of his usual snark box and think he did a great job but for me, the story was meandering and predictable. I remember telling people that it was "good but a movie I would only watch when trapped 11,000ft in the air with no traveling partners, books or music to help pass the time".

And I'm done with Abigail Breslin...Cute only gets you so far...then you need acting classes.

Brian Mulligan said...

Jeez, the return of Rebecca comes complete with a hearty smackdown on Abigail Breslin of all people? Damn!

I happen to agree with you though. In Little Miss Sunshine Breslin tapped into a youthful naturalism like she didn't even realize she was in a film. Without her, that film wouldn't have been the same.

Now that she's become a "star" her performances in Definitely, Maybe and No Reservations to me have felt labored, like she's trying too hard.

Another thing adding to that fact is that LMS was a Sundance film, and now she's on big budgeted movie sets and it's probably intimidating for a girl of her age.

But ultimately I agree, she's going to need acting lessons if she wants longevity in her career. Look at Dakota Fanning, who I feel is a far better child actress, and hasn't really been heard from since Charlotte's Web two years ago. At some point you outgrow "cute."

Oh and Ty, I'll be back on here with responses to The Last Emperor and Wall-E soon. I've been fashioning them for a while, I just have been bogged down at work and haven't had the time. I'm also working on a review of Hard Candy that should provoke some discussion. Stay tuned...

Anonymous said...

i hope there is another romantic movie team up with ryan reynolds and isla fisher!!!

Blog Directory - Blogged