Sunday, January 13, 2008

Last Minute Golden Globe Predictions


Right before the 'show' goes on, I felt like I should throw up my predictions (you know, so I can brag later and all). Anyways, I probably should have done this a while ago and had everyone make their predictions and see who got the most correct... but that'll have to wait until the Oscars I guess.

For now -

The winners will be...


FILM


Best Motion Picture - Drama
Who will win - No Country for Old Men
Who should win - No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood

Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy
Who will win - Juno
Who should win - Juno

Best Director - Motion Picture
Who will win - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men
Who should win - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men or Paul Thomas Anderson - There Will Be Blood

Best Actor - Motion Picture Drama
Who will win - Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood
Who should win - Daniel Day-Lewis - There Will Be Blood

Best Actor - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Who will win - Johnny Depp - Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Who should win - Phillip Seymour Hoffman - The Savages

Best Actress - Motion Picture Drama
Who will win - Keira Knightley - Atonement
Who should win - Julie Christie - Away From Her

Best Actress - Motion Picture Musical or Comedy
Who will win - Ellen Page - Juno
Who should win - Ellen Page - Juno

Best Supporting Actress - Motion Picture
Who will win - Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There
Who should win - Cate Blanchett - I'm Not There or Amy Ryan - Gone, Baby, Gone

Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture
Who will win - Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men
Who should win - Javier Bardem - No Country for Old Men

Best Screenplay
Who will win - Ethan Coen, Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men
Who should win - Ethan Joen, Joel Coen - No Country for Old Men

Best Original Score
Who will win - Dario Marianelli - Atonement
Who should win - Dario Marianelli - Atonement

Best Original Song
Who will win - "Grace is Gone" by Clint Eastwood and Carole Bayer Sager - Grace is Gone
Who should win - "Guaranteed" by Eddie Vedder - Into the Wild

Best Foreign Language Film
Who will win - The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
Who should win - Have not seen enough to warrant a selection, anything but The Kite Runner.

Best Animated Feature
Who will win - Ratatouille
Who should win - Ratatouille


TV

Best Drama
Who will win - "Grey's Anatomy"
Who should win - Have not seen enough to warrant a selection, but anything but "Grey's Anatomy" and "House"

Best Comedy or Musical
Who will win - "30 Rock"
Who should win - "Entourage" or "Extras" although "30 Rock" is a solid choice as well.

Best Actor in a Television Drama Series
Who will win - Hugh Laurie - "House"
Who should win - Have not seen enough to warrant a selection.

Best Actor in a Television Comedy or Musical
Who will win - Alec Baldwin - "30 Rock"
Who should win - Steve Carell - "The Office" or Alec Baldin - "30 Rock" or Ricky Gervais - "Extras" (hey, it's a strong category)

Best Actress in a Television Comedy or Musical
Who will win - Mary-Louise Parker - "Weeds"
Who should win - Mary-Louise Parker - "Weeds" or Tina Fey - "30 Rock"

Best Actress in a Television Drama Series
Who will win - Glenn Close - "Damages"
Who should win - Edie Falco - "The Sopranos" (although I really haven't seen enough to be sure about this)

Best Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Who will win - "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee"
Who should win - Haven't seen any.

Best Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Who will win - Jim Broadbent - "Langford"
Who should win - Haven't seen any.

Best Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Who will win - Bryce Dallas Howard - "As You Like It"
Who should win - Haven't seen any.

Best Supporting Actor in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Who will win - Katherine Heigl - "Grey's Anatomy"
Who should win - Don't care, of the two I've seen (Heigl and Pressly), I wasn't impressed.

Best Supporting Actress in a Mini-Series or Motion Picture made for Television
Who will win - Jeremy Piven - "Entourage"
Who should win - Jeremy Piven - "Entourage" (again, haven't seen enough to make a real solid choice)

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

This is quite possibly the BEST awards show I've ever seen. No stars, no long winded politically saturated acceptance speeches, just results and a quick analysis. Boom, boom, boom. I love it! Long live the writers strike!

Brian Mulligan said...

I dunno. I think it's a little too rushed. I wish they had a little more time to go into the breakdown.

And besides, hearing Billy Bush's thoughts on the winners and losers is like asking the village idiot who should be president. Who really cares what he thinks? Plus you lose the 1 or 2 real emotional, real memorable moments of the night. True, you cut out a LOT of the fat... but damn, it's just too rapid fire for me.

Oh and I love how David Duchovny won when I singled out three people in that category... none of which was Mr. X-Files. GREEAATTTT.

bridetobe said...

The awards better be back next year. Even though there's generally more commercials than actual awards during these type of events, I miss hearing the emotinal or witty speeches, seeing who's best dressed, who came with who, etc. What are we going to gossip about tomorrow morning now in the lunch room? I was bored out of my mind tonight. I completely agree with Mulligan. No one could care less about Billy Bush and his terrible sense of humor. I wish they could have found someone better to host this since it didn't have much hype as it was. Anyone else give the Golden Globes the time of day this year?

I think most people in hollywood are pretty disappointed tonight and feel like they're missing out on something electric and energizing--I mean come on. It's only once a year. Here's to hoping the Oscars aren't cancelled!

bridetobe said...

No awards for Juno? Atonement got Best Picture? BOO!!!

Rebecca said...

True about the announcers, but I'd still rather this than a 3 hr ego stroking fest.

Anyway, congrats on the Julie Christie...I still hold firm no Oscar though.

God there are so many good movies going up against each other this year. I love it! Whoo hoo Atonement! Best Picture Drama! I am a little surprised. As well as nothing for Juno. Ahh there's always the Oscars.

For now, I'm off to watch No Country For Old Men.

Brian Mulligan said...

I agree that I hope the Oscar show goes on as usual. The Globes are just the bastardized version of it anyway. I mean come on... Sweeney Todd and Atonement are its Best Pictures of the year?!!? Seriously?!!?! Neither even placed in my Top 15 of the year.

Where's No Country? There Will Be Blood? Into the Wild? Zodiac? All are much better films. Hell, so are I'm Not There, Juno, Gone, Baby, Gone and Eastern Promises.

Lots of questionable choices in my mind. At least even the Globes couldn't screw up Daniel Day-Lewis and Javier Bardem though.

And I only said Julie Christie will get an Oscar nomination this year (not a win, even though it's still the best female performance I've seen all year)... and she's almost guaranteed of that now. I stand vindicated.

chachiincharge said...

Didn't watch the ceremony. Totally forgot about it. Probably because the Globes are just about the worst awards show there is. Proof of that goes to Duchovny's win for Californication, a horrible show, over the likes of Gervais, Baldwin, etc.

I loved Sweeney Todd so I can't complain about its win, but Juno was better.

Atonement....I've yet to say my feelings about this film. Its beautiful to look at and the ending is truly powerful, but I don't get it. This film has been earning so much praise, for what I think is a very flawed love story. The pacing is off in the middle half. The acting from the leads was just okay. It requires far too many coincidences for Briony to misinterpret the events. And worst of all, I didn't believe in the love story at all. We get one scene of them together, otherwise before that they are angry at one another. And I'm sorry, if you love someone, you don't even jokingly write to yourself "I want to lick your c**t." This relationship wasn't built on love, but lust, and frankly I didn't care if they got back together. But who here didn't love the performance given by the chocolate man. It was like he was conjuring Dick Dastardly it was so weird. Vanessa Redgrave was the only one here who was worthy of awards attention for this film. And the score was pretty good.

I'm glad Julie Christie won, but where is the love for her costar Gordon Pinsentt. She gets the flashier role, but it truly is his story and he was fantastic.

Thankfully the Globes are recognized more as a joke nowadays, so hopefully these wins won't have much influence on the Oscars.

I've said it ever since I first saw him doing a red carpet event.
"I HATE BILLY BUSH!!!"
I recently found out he is our president's cousin. As if I needed another reason to dislike those two.

Blog Directory - Blogged