Thursday, January 31, 2008

The Film Script in 2008

Okay, since we're still in the early stages of 2008, I thought I'd ask everyone what they want from "The Film Script" in '08.

Personally, I enjoy it the most when we get back-and-forth conversation going on here. And what tends to do that the most is "Top 7 Lists," "Inside the Screening Room's" or joint reviews, "Acting Tournaments," awards talk and any topic that asks a direct question or asks where such and such a quote came from.

I enjoy coming on here daily and seeing that something was written by someone. Even if it's just a short sentence or anything. Just keeping the lifeblood of this site running.

Starting, well, tomorrow, I'm going to start posting a weekly reaction to "Lost" on here, since I know that everyone who visits this site watches that. That should be something that will add some conversation. That will go up every Friday at least through the 8 weeks we get this season (and will continue once it returns).

Other than that can you guys think of anything in particular you want from the site? What you'd like added? What you guys like to discuss? I don't want anyone to feel pressure to write some real long topics or posts or comments... but just a few more words here and there would help. I think I might start going over to RottenTomatoes.com and lifting some topics from their forums... there are always interesting questions being posed over there. Same with the "Ask the Critic" questions from Entertainment Weekly. Gotta start throwing those up on the main page.

And instead of the "Month of Movies" topic, I think I'm just going to throw up a "Must See Movie of the Month: Cloverfield" post and see if anyone has anything to say about a particular movie instead of the entire month's worth... which really gets ridiculous when it's Veggietales and U2: 3D month. I'm gonna have more posts, but they're gonna be shorter posts. Short reviews. Short thoughts on upcoming movies. Etc. Just to get something new on this site.

We did pretty good in 2007 at least with me, Ty and Ted coming on here and talking. Then Kelly and Rebecca helped chime in towards the end of the year too which was great as well. Let's keep it up!

And two interesting notes:

1) This is the 'official' 100th Post for "The Film Script." Very cool guys.

and 2) Go to Google and type in "no country for old men script" and see what pops up as one of the first page's results. That's us on there baby, wooo! Of course people are accidentally coming here thinking I actually posted the script from No Country... but still, kinda cool.

3 comments:

Brian Mulligan said...

Or maybe I should just shut it down?

chachiincharge said...

Blasphemy sir. Listen, there is no doubt that this is your baby and you put in more time and effort than anyone else here, but I know I visit everyday for new posts. Whether I comment right away is another issue, but I look forward to this blog and its future. I'm loving the Lost discussion, and I think your other ideas are good suggestions too. I'm going to try to write more posts myself like I used to, but in the end your just a much better writer than I. You give this blog credibility. I'm just happy to be a part of it. So keep it coming. I'll do my part, as well as welcome anyone else to contribute as well.

Brian Mulligan said...

You're right, the last thing I want to do is shut this site down. I check it multiple times each day and beyond that, I enjoy the film discussion that goes on here and writing about film. I just get frustrated sometimes when it seems like it's been days or even a week since anyone dropped by.

Honestly, I don't mind taking responsibility for making sure there are new posts on the main site (although anyone is obviously welcome to do so also). The only thing that does get to me is when I start to feel like I'm talking to myself.

From now on I'm not going to let myself get overrun with recent watches either. If I've seen 3-5 new films, I'm gonna throw up some thoughts on them. Some longer than others, some as their own post, whatever... but they're gonna get on here. I don't want it to get like it is now for me(currently about 35 films behind schedule) or it was for you (20+ films behind). I see a couple films a week, so there should be some new recent watches from me each week at least.

That, the new "Lost" topic and the other ideas I had should at least get a little more discussion going. I am happy with how the "Lost" post has spurred some new comments.

And, like it says on the main page, after the Oscars we'll go back to doing the "Screening Room Sessions." But I do need a longer list of films to choose from, so Ty just start listing some films off here that you want to see and I'll make sure we get to them (any decade, any director is up for grabs). Most likely whatever you want to see, if I haven't, I'll want to see it too.

For now, I'm crazily trying to run through one 2007 film after another before the Oscar telecast in a couple weeks (the Strike is 'supposedly' ending this Friday) and I've seen 105 2007 releases thus far. Hope to make it at least to 110 and have Margot at the Wedding, Lust, Caution and In the Valley of Elah on my plate next.

Alright, well, let's just try to keep the comments coming. As long as I know somebody is reading, I don't mind writing. Bring on the rest of 2008.

Blog Directory - Blogged