Friday, January 18, 2008

Month of Movies: January 2008


Slim pickens this month. Not a single "Must See" film in theaters and only one I would really consider going out of my way to see (and even that one is doubtful). There are a few I'll catch up with on DVD, but really... this is why January is considered a 'dump month'.


MUST SEE - THEATERS

None

POSSIBLY SEE - THEATERS

Cloverfield
- The pitch: you blend a Godzilla movie with The Blair Witch Project. Some cool visuals in the trailer, but I'm afraid it's a story devoid of any interesting characters. The one film that might lure me to theaters (it's probably best suited for the big screen), but there's only a small chance of that.

MUST SEE - DVD

Rambo - First Blood is the only good Rambo movie, still... Senior Citizen Rambo is kind of a funny concept. I'll check it out eventually. It can't get much worse than Rambo 2 or 3.

The Orphanage - This is probably the film I'm the most interested in for the month, but it's not one that I'll rush out to either. It's a horror film in the mold of The Others, presented by (but not directed by) Guillermo Del Toro. Definitely at some point.

4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days -
After The Diving Bell and the Butterfly it's probably the single foreign film I've heard the most about all year. It won at Cannes and I was shocked the Oscars left it off their foreign film short list (those in contention for nominations). Still... I've heard nothing but raves.

Cassandra's Dream - Woody Allen's latest. I'm sure if it was great it would have been bumped up to December to make a run at the Oscar's. It wasn't. Still, Colin Farrell in an Allen movie interests me. I'll catch up with it.

POSSIBLY SEE - DVD

Air I Breathe
- Hadn't heard a word on it, but saw Kevin Bacon and Forest Whitaker in the cast list as I was researching January releases. Maybe.

27 Dresses
- Kelly wants to see it. I don't. So... we'll see it. But not until DVD.

POSSIBLY NEVER SEE - DVD

Untraceable
- Diane Lane thriller.

Mad Money
- One of the oddest assortment of celebrities casts I've ever heard of... Diane Keaton, Queen Latifah, Katie Holmes and Ted Danson? Uh...

Teeth
- Too weird for me.

Meet the Spartans
- Too stupid for me.

U2 3D - Since I don't like U2... why would I?

One Missed Call
- Gladly missed.

First Sunday
- Nope.

In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
- Might be interesting to check out Uwe Boll's latest (largely regarded the worst filmmaker in the world). Then again...

Pirates Who Don't Do Anything - A Veggietales Movie -
Kiddie movie. No appeal.

No comments:

Blog Directory - Blogged