Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Film Script's Top 7 - Comic Book Movies


I know the topic comes entirely out of left field but with Rotten Tomatoes recently compiling the rankings of Comic Book films from 1-94, I figured our own Top 7 lists (feel free to throw in honorary mentions as well) were in order. And it's Top 7 because Top 5 is just too short and Top 10 is just too long.

So let's begin with my own - surprisingly one-sided - list:

6 & 7.) Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2
The reasons Spider-Man 3 was such a disappointment is plainly observable by rewatching the first two films. Director Sam Raimi has Peter Parker run the gamut of comic book hero storylines... origin, to underappreciated figure, to our finally recognized hero. Maybe that's why 3 felt like a lot of stalling - the movie equivalent of spinning your tires - because Raimi felt there was no place for the character to go. Besides, these films are trim, lean and iconic. There are images still burning in my mind from these two while 3 already begins to fade away.

5.) Batman Returns
The only movie that I remember my dad and I walking out on when I was a child... and a movie I avoided pretty much relentlessly until I finally gave in and gave it another chance a couple years ago. I'm glad I did. Maybe my 10-12 year old self wasn't ready for the darkness of the film and Burton's decision to focus the film around its villains instead of our hero, but nowadays - and maybe this says something about the older, more cynical me - but I revel in it. There's gotta be something to a film that so totally scares the hell out of its producers that they lose a Burger King sponsorship and bag the director. Unfortunately, it's also primarily responsible for the fiasco that became Schumacher's films, but you can't blame it on Burton.

4.) Sin City
Easily more entertaining and replayable than Frank Miller's 300, while still as much of a visual, jaw-dropping feast. Sin City establishes character in a way that 300 ignores, while also playing off the old noir pictures of Hollywood's yesteryear. Also, by crisscrossing from story to story, the film plays like a series of vignettes - each story interesting and unique enough to stand on its own. I'd actually love to see this film broken down and watch each story unfold in and of itself. While not perfect - like most Rodriguez' pictures the film is practically devoid of emotion outside of the 'wham, bam, thank ya ma'am' action school style of filmmaking - the film is by far his most roundly complete. Plus, with a cast list this deep you're drawn in for every second.

3.) Batman Begins
Christopher Nolan reboots the franchise after it nearly fizzled into extinction with Begins and, appropriately, tells the story of Bruce Wayne's origin over your typical Batman tale... a story that had thus far been largely ignored, even by Burton's twosome. It's fascinating and adds a depth to a character that had been fairly shallow to that point. With the exception of the casting of Katie Holmes (a mistake already addressed in a recasting for The Dark Knight), Begins is the best of the Batman films - giving him back a pulse, and an audience.

2.) Batman
Yes, the 3rd Batman film on my list - and still largely considered 'the' Batman film. Burton hit it out of the park on his first swing with the bewildering (at the time) casting of Michael Keaton as Batman and letting Jack dance in the pale moonlight. I don't even know what to say about it besides the fact it was the first pure comic driven movie that I'd so thoroughly enjoyed. Maybe it's something about the Wayne Mansion... or that Batman really has no superpowers so he's always wholly a human figure but he's definitely the best superhero and he generally shows the most emotion, teetering on the brink of vengeance over justice. Love it.

1.) The Crow
The ultimate hero figure. Part rock n' roller. Part supernatural. And intensely scary - even to evildoers. He has the ability to regenerate from gunshot wounds. And he's even a romantic at heart, with a backstory that kills... love destroyed, he's given the chance to set things right for one night on the eve of Halloween. Forget any of the sequels, but the original is pure comicbook genius. Dark and dynamic. It's still widely known for the tragic death of Brandon Lee, but what a way to go out. He was a God for a moment in this film. Always left me wanting more.

honorary mentions to: Hellboy, Superman: The Movie, X-Men, Blade, X2: X-Men United, Superman Returns and Blade 2: Bloodhunt

*note: I eliminated such films as A History of Violence and Ghost World because while technically deriving from a comic or graphic novel, they don't fit in with the whole aura of a pure comic book film (namely costumes and villains).

5 comments:

chachiincharge said...

I cant disagree with your list at all. All are winners, though some more than others. My own, which could easily change in five minutes, is...

7. Batman
6. V for Vendetta
5. Crow
4. X2
3. Batman Begins
2. Sin City
1. Spider Man 2

I'm definately not sold on this being a definitive list, but I'm okay with it, but I'm sure Spidey would be my number 1.

When I was going through the Tomatoes own list, I noticed that X3, a rotten tomato, was number 38 or something, which shows that the majority of the comic book flicks are sub-par. So I thought it might also be fun to claim which are the worst comic book flicks.

My Bottom 7:
7. Ghost in the Shell
6. Tank Girl (but dammit do I not watch it every time it is on)
5. Fantastic Four
4. Superman IV
3. Punisher
2. Catwoman
1. LXG

Dishonorable Mentions: Ghost Rider, Spawn, Daredevil, and Batman & Robin (I thought this one would be too easy to put on here)

Let me also state some underrated flicks for me, be it nostalgia, or simply cuz they never get any love.

-Ninja Turtles
-Mystery Men
-Dick Tracy
-Rocketeer
-Howard the Duck- thats right, I like it. It has a giant talking duck!!! Thats crazy!!!

PS Myth, you are only allowed one paragraph to debate why Hulk is not only the best comic book flick, but the best movie period. One paragraph or else I'm cutting it.

Brian Mulligan said...

Excellent idea with the corresponding Bottom 7 list.

Much like you, I'm not entirely happy with my arrangement of these films (I'd have to put a little more thought into it than I'm willing to do at the moment), but you'll get the jist and I think it's a pretty solid #1 for worst film.

7. Ghost Rider
Nic Cage was campy fun, the rest of it was pure garbage - and this was the only comic I actually read as a kid, lovely adaptation.

6. Alien vs. Predator
I don't consider Predator a comic film, I don't consider Alien a comic film. For some reason the geekiness of throwing the two together makes it a comic book film. Plus, it's awful.

5. Daredevil
Dreadful imagining of this comic. They missed on the tone, the style, the casting, the everything.

4. Fantastic Four
Except for Chris Evans, totally worthless from beginning to end. I can't believe they let Tim Story continue as director and lens another one of these.

3. Blade: Trinity
The film that turned Blade into a crappy afternoon cartoon. Dispiriting especially after the first two.

2. The Punisher
John Travolta. Thomas Jane. Shame on the both of you. Shame, shame.

1. Elektra
I don't know what prompted me to see this. I should have known better.

Congrats to director Mark Steven Johnson for being the only director to have two "Bottom 7" nominees. Maybe I'm too hard on Schumacher...

Then again, maybe not...

Dishonorable mentions: Hulk, Batman Forever, V for Vendetta, The Crow: City of Angels, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles films and Casper

Dishonorable mentions that are too horrifying for me to even consider watching: Superman IV, Catwoman, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Batman & Robin

chachiincharge said...

Never actually saw Elektra, but Im sure it would make my list too if I had. Let me also defend Daredevil for one aspect. I cant put it in the worst of category simply because I thought the "sight" sense was really kinda cool, but this comic had so much potential and they squandered it. Ive heard the directors cut is mucho besser, but I havent brought myself to watching it yet.

Also let me say while Blade Trinity was a terrible addition to a rather good franchise, I did love Ryan Reynolds one liners in it. So while I was vastly disappointed in it, I did laugh enough to prevent it from being as low as it is for you.

AVP would have defiantly made my list too if I really thought of it as a comic book flick. I guess it was a comic, but I don't really think of it as one. But your reasoning is dead on. While its predecessors were great horror/action flicks, this one certainly feels like a comic book movie in comparison. And I waited till four in the morning to watch this piece of shit. Who wants to bet AVP2 will be even worse?

I like Batman Forever. It was far worse than Burton's efforts, but I still enjoyed myself. Robin is stupid, but at least Batgirl wasn't in it yet. I though Carrey was a lot of fun, but Jones was miscast as Two-Face. Also Kilmer was a good choice to fill the suit. Your appreciation for the film will multiply two fold if you put yourself through Batman & Robin.

At least when can agree on Punisher and Fantastic Four. Just lazy and uninspired filmmaking. I kid you not Mulligan, when I worked at the theatre, one employee came out of Punisher and gave his enthusiastic review that I wish was on the poster..."A lot of people got punished!"...Thats how I felt when watching it too, but not in quite the same context as he did.

PS Your still wrong about Ninja Turtles and V.

Anonymous said...

Top 7=

7. The Addams Family- Kooky, damn strange, and has me laughing the whole way through.

6. Ghost World- Great comedy, great movie.

5. American Splendor- Why don't more of you have this on your list? Giamtti is the man!

4. 300- Do I really need to defend this?

3. The SpiderMan Trilogy- Um, duh!

2. Sin City- Hell yeah!

1. The Hulk-Utterly remarkable.

Honorable mentions= Constantine, The Crow, Batman Returns, From Hell, Fantastic 4 (yes, I like it, that much).

Bottom 7=

7. V For Vendetta- Boy, oh boy, you guys are all going to want to kill me? I can sense it. But I hate this movie! There are several editing issues, amazingly bland dialogue, terrible acting (Portman was worse than in any of the SW prequels), and poorly choreographed action. For more specfic problems, contact me.

6. Ghost In The Shell- As an avid fan of anime, I could never understand why this movie has the following it does? Decent animation, convoluted plot, and a lot of crap psycho-babble means a great retarded bore.

5. The Punisher- Bad, bad, and more bad. Watch it and you'll see.

4. LXG- Aside from Jason Flemyng as Jekyll/ Hyde, this was a diaster.

3. Elektra- Bad CGI, impossible to follow plot, and annoyingly bad stunts.

2. Howard The Duck- Like you guys are going to argue this?

1. Catwoman- The only film to make me puke.

Dishonorable mentions= Superman Returns, Josie and the Pussycats, Dennis The Menace, Judge Dredd, Son of the Mask.

chachiincharge said...

We eliminated those that we felt didn't exude the same comic excitement as the big blockbuster pic. Thats why you won't find Ghost World, American Splendor, or History of Violence on the list. If that were the case they would probably be my numbers 1-3. So don't worry FilmGuy, we didn't forget them.

Blog Directory - Blogged